Sandra Chat "Relationship"
Latest News

Does Age Matter In A Relationship?

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 , Posted by Sandra Chat at 12:03 AM


Age is certainly a key factor in a relationship especially if it involves minors. (Minors meaning under the age of 18). Regardless of whether the teenager appears older or acts "mature" for their age, its illegal. Period!! Any adult (over the age of 19) who would even consider dating a teenager has personal issues. For example, a 16 year old dating a 19 year old in my book wouldn't be appropriate. (Visualize a junior in high school dating a sophomore in college). Although there's only a three year difference between the two; the maturity level, education and experience of the 19 year old surpasses that of the 16 year old by a long shot.

You can understand a great deal about a person by knowing their age alone. I believe that with age comes wisdom. This is not to be confused with intelligence. We can all go to school or read a book and get educated. But, wisdom comes from experience.

If an individual who is of age decides to date someone, 10, 20, or even 30 year older/younger, that's totally fine. After all, its their happiness and love for each other that truly matters. However, the age difference will impact their relationship physically, mentally and emotionally.

Physically, your mate may not be equipped to maintain the physical lifestyle of one half their age.

Mentally, you will have to deal with life's constant reminders of your age difference through media and your day to day activities.

Emotionally, a strong bond and love between the two will be required to withstand the bickering and disapproval of family and friends.

Nonetheless, age does matter. As an adult, you are expected to understand what it is that you're are doing and take full responsibility for your actions.

Currently have 4comments:

  1. Mz.St3f says:

    Hey Sandra... Great blog. I totally understand what you're saying but personally, I totally feel differently about the age differences in a relationship. I think, regardless of how old you may be, age still plays a big role in a relationship. 5+ years makes a whole difference in where two people may be in their lives. Personally, I cannot see myself with a guy who is more than 3-4yrs older than me. I want someone that I can grow with and share life my life experiences with as they share theirs with me... someone I can be on the same page with. But in dealing with someone with a significant age difference, I feel as though they're at a "been there, done that" stage of their life.

    Don't get me wrong... I know that there are many exceptions to the rules. Many people will probably say that their parents, family members or someone they know are 10+ years apart and have been together for 25+ years, but I feel like in this day an age, age makes a huge difference. And in my opinion, it would take a great mutual understanding, a lot of work, and determination between two people to make it work. But then again, what relationship doesn't need all of that to work, right?!

    What do you think?!

  1. Hi Mz. St3f

    Thanks for your comment. You mentioned that you felt differently about my views, however your comments indicate otherwise. Perhaps you misunderstood me so let me clarify. I certainly believe age does matter in a relationship. Given the range, age can have a significant affect on your relationship anyway you look at it. Having said that, love and happiness are still key factors. As an adult, you are expected to understand ant take full responsibility of the choices you make in life. Nevertheless, age does matter and if you are willing to accept the disadvantages that comes with it, so be it.

  1. Mz.St3f says:

    Maybe I misunderstood what you said. But now its clarified. At the end of the day, Age is More than just a number!!! LoL.

  1. Yes ma'am. It certainly is.

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment